Beating a Dead Horse

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:25 PM
Edited Oct 24, 2015 at 11:27 PM
In the first 15 years of my career I was an IT consultant designing and implementing large Microsoft based networks, clusters, data systems, etc. I left that field to make full motion racing simulators. As a small business owner that's implemented most major ERP systems at one time or another, I am aware of the pitfalls byt I'm also aware of the many much needed benefits.

I've exhausted just about every cloud hosted option. They
re simple priced out of reach at this point in time. We're at a point where we've outgrown QuickBooks yet can't afford a system that actually meets our needs.

I know nothing of the LAMP world aside from setting up some Red Hat SMTP servers yeas ago. I'm intimately familiar with most all Microsoft tech. Interestingly, there are MANY non-Microsoft ERP systems that are fairly robust and affordable. On the flip side, there are almost no reasonably priced Microsoft based ERP systems.

When I first started reading about this project I got excited. I thought that just maybe there actually was an affordable, functional ERP based on the Micosoft technologies I'm proficient in.

I was heartbroken to learn that this project isn't SQL Server or Azure SQL based. As a businessman, I MUST assume that open source contributors will come and go and I must be prepared to accept the worst case scenario. Take a look around this site. It's a open source graveyard for the most part.

Having my data in SQL Server is having the power to integrate with just about anything and rapidly solve business problems that the project doesn't should the need arise. Many of us who work with .Net technologies have experience with SQL Server. We know how to backup, cluster, scale, use SSIS and understand the myriad of reporting solutions available, etc.. At the end of the day, my business is my data. No matter how badly I need an affordable ERP, I cannot reasonably put my data anywhere other than SQL Server.

I commend all of you for undertaking this significant effort and sharing it. While I have nothing against Postgres, it's simply too big an unknown. I think most .Net developers would say their comfort zone is SQL Server simply because that what we "grew up with".

It's too late for me, I must dismiss this project for the reasons above, but I want to encourage you to consider a more robust data layer with SQL server providers. My 15 years on the road dealing with geeks tells me that even though you have good technical reason for your Postgres choice, it's alienating many and if I were a betting man, I would bet that this projects adoption rate is a fraction of what it could be. The same probably goes for the number of contributors. There are a boatload of ASP/.Net shops running SQL Server and perhaps s able to contribute,.

I'll get off my soap box now :) I wish you all the very best of luck with this project and for what it's worth, you now have my 2 cents and a brief version of my user story. If you're in agreement that this isn't an uncommon user story and decide to move forward with a SQL provider to help propel the project forward, I would like to help. At a minimum, I can help with test servers and testing.

OK, this time I really am get off my soap box :)

Best,

Berney
Coordinator
Nov 9, 2015 at 9:14 AM
Berney,

My name is Binod and I am one of the developers of MixERP. Thank you for the appreciations of MixERP.

Berney, I respect your feelings. I have nothing to say except "If you give PostgreSQL a fighting chance, I think you will like it more than SQLServer."

Should we talk more about the technology choices on social networks? Please find me on facebook:

http://facebook.com/binod.nirvan

or email binodnp---outlook++++com

PS, sorry for replying late because codeplex does not send email notifications anymore. I hope when you read this, it's not too late.

Regards,
Binod